Tuesday, May 29, 2007

No, Seriously....

I don’t like serious people. I am one I think, I don’t like myself that much either.



I don’t suffer from Hypertension, except when my twelve year old comes and tells me she absolutely must have those trousers Avril Lavigne wore in that latest song. (I would probably have got a stroke if she had asked for the dress Shakira wore while singing ‘Hips Don’t Lie,” but cares for my health so much, the darling, and hasn’t so far broached the subject.)



Serious people are boring. I have enjoyed reading Kant, Nietzsche and Marx, but damned if I would invite them to dinner; a conversation maybe, not dinner. I would rather having Wilde and Bob Hope for dinner and put them across each other at the table.



Chauvinists are pigs and Feminists their counterparts, both worth ignoring. Both are looking at the same coin from opposing angles and claiming it to be theirs.



Gays make good company, I have no idea of how good a lesbian’s companionship would be, hardly had the opportunity to note.



Serious people, I think, miss a lot of fun. I know I do.



Someone asked me, why the anonymity, well… the glib answer is because it is possible. The truth is I wrote under a different nom de plume before and the climax left a bad taste in the mouth. Anonymity is good, but it is better if you think you are anonymous and others know who you are. Now that is fun. Some of you might actually have made that discovery or might make it eventually. Though it may sound oxymoron-ish, anonymity is a hard thing to hide too.



Last night, passing through, I reached Antares’ blog. Reading his contemplation of eternity, I said to my wife: “Look, honey, this is a similar discussion we had, only ours was on Time and Reality…”



“You mean the one that I did not understand a word of?”



“Precisely. What a memory you have!”



"Oh yes, I remember, that was when I was talking about that beautiful necklace I saw."



"I was explaining to you the correlation of Time and Reality. Give it a little time and in reality it won't seem as beautiful."



Soon she says she will have to perform an Antares-ectomy if I don’t come to bed. I take the notebook to bed, silly me.

4 comments:

The Quiet Storm said...

I cannot agree with you more. I am a flambouyant creature myself. I like people who aren't too uptight about life.

I do not look like the person who loves books, who studies Russian literature in Russian. I look more like an airhead and I take delight in people thinking that I am one.

It's only when I am at home that I become serious and introspective. When I'm alone, where I am safe in my inner sanctum.

Shakeel Abedi said...

Wish I could read Russian. Am very horrible with languages. Haven't even been able to write decent English even, as yet.

Must be fun reading Crime and Punishment in Russian though.

Starmandala said...

My guess is you've studied law, O.D. Just found out what "Obiter Dictum" means! Anyway, it's quite a hall of mirrors, the blogosphere - I rather enjoy visiting other people's blogs and leaving my cicak shit comments. It's especially interesting to read about you and your spouse "contemplating eternity" in real time! :-)

Shakeel Abedi said...

Nice of you to drop by, Antares.

Ah no, my only connection with law is breaking them.