Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Reviewing

Over the course I have been asked to review books. I have cordially and humbly (if that is possible) refused.

I couldn’t review a book if my life depended on it. I just don’t have the talent, the grace and the understanding of literature required to do it. I admit envy when I find people like Sharon Bakar, who have the precise eye for words, are able to analyze a book, plot the plot and tell you where the heart of the books lies.

Me, I couldn’t do that, not objectively. I failed at it when I was young; I fail in it now.

Long ago, when in a class, being taught by visiting poet Nissim Ezekiel in a lecture dreadfully called ‘Poetry and Criticism” I was told after my inability to critique a poem from Gitanjali, by the great Nissim to never think of a profession in teaching.

To me books are great, okay or just plain dung masquerading as a book. My tastes would send some highbrow readers into fits. I think some the best dialog ever written was by Erle Stanley Gardner in his Perry Mason books, some of the best building of a plot and maintaining it was done by Mario Puzo in his ‘Godfather.’ He could not keep the excellence going, his Fools Die was one of the worst from him, notwithstanding the brilliant fist chapter.


2 comments:

Eric Forbes said...

I enjoy the stuff you have here. And I think you have the potential to be a good reviewer. Just give it a try! You may just surprise yourself!

Starmandala said...

Dammit, O.D.! I came by your blog hunting for your email address so I could ask if you've read 'Tanah Tujuh' - and, if so, whether you would do the world a favour by reviewing it for The Star (apparently they're a bit short of resident book reviewers). Well.... give it a thought, my friend, while I continue my search for your email address! :-)